- Employment Application for all Non-Certified Positions
- Employment Reactivation for Substitute Teaching form
- Transcripts (Upload to your online applicant file-do not mail paper transcripts to HR)
- Provide a minimum of two references on your application - references are automatically sent an electronic survey to complete upon submission of the online application. References from friends, neighbors or co-workers will not be accepted.
- Effective November 1, 2012, all newly hired substitutes must be Highly Qualified as defined by No Child Left Behind qualifications. To be HQ, you must meet the following requirements:
* To apply for substitute teaching after submitting an online application via Applitrack, login to your application and go to the section for "Position Desired" and place a checkmark in the box for substitute teacher, then click on Finish and Submit to resubmit your application.
Requirements to be considered “Highly Qualified”
The “Highly Qualified” standard must be met to be considered for a position as an elementary school teacher assistant or a substitute teacher. It is preferred for middle/high school teacher assistant positions, but not required.
To be considered “highly qualified”, you must meet one of the requirements below:
- A four year degree from an accredited college/university (must have a copy of your official transcripts confirming the degree) OR
- A two year degree from an accredited college/university ( must have a copy of your official transcripts confirming the degree) OR
- 48 SEMESTER credits from an accredited college/university: If you earned quarter credits, you can determine the semester value by multiplying the number of credits by .67 (must have a copy of the official transcripts confirming your credits) OR
- 96 documented continuing education hours earned AFTER January 8, 2002 AND passing WorkKeys assessment scores on reading, writing and business writing. Passing scores are a 4 in reading and math, and a 3 in business writing. All this information must confirmed by official documentation from the agency which you earned the hours and took the assessments. (WorkKeys assessments can be taken at local community colleges) OR
- If you met the highly qualified standards in another state, an official letter from the Public School Human Resources office is needed stating you met the “highly qualified standards”. Wake County will review this information and determine if it meets North Carolina Highly Qualified standards.
Rates of pay
View pay scales for substitute teachers.
- Complete the employment application. Applications are reviewed upon submission of the online application, confidential reference checks are performed, and criminal background checks are conducted on qualified applicants.
- Complete applications are reviewed, confidential reference checks and criminal background checks are conducted on applicants.
- If approved for employment as a substitute teacher, the applicant is invited by letter to a New Substitute Teacher Orientation and sent a N. C. health certificate, I-9, payroll direct deposit and tax forms.
- Upon completion of orientation, submission of the N. C. health certificate and other forms, the new substitute teacher will be keyed into the AESOP. Then the new substitute teacher may register as a new user and receive their PIN and begin substitute teaching.